This zucchini bread is a more nutritious version of your favorite summertime baked treat. It’s filled with whole grain flour, almond butter, and one whole zucchini! Bake up a loaf (or two!) today if you’ve got zucchinis to use up from the garden.
Zucchini bread will always remind me of sweet summer days. I grew up going to Martha’s Vineyard every summer, and my family would frequently have a loaf of Morning Glory Farm‘s zucchini bread around. Their version is the best – it’s not too sweet, super moist (sorry), and incredibly soft.
I’ve been on a baking kick lately, and have made a few recipes using almond butter that I’ve loved. I decided to test out an almond butter zucchini bread recipe. It’s instantly become one of my new favorite recipes! Ben and I polished off the loaf in a matter of days, so I think another loaf needs to happen ASAP.
This zucchini bread is healthier in a few ways. White flour is replaced with whole grain spelt flour. Instead of oil, almond butter provides moisture and healthy fats. While I’m usually not the biggest fan of nuts in my quick breads, the walnuts in this recipe are a MUST. The toasty flavor and crunch are so good!
I also used Bolthouse Farms new Plant Protein Milk! This milk alternative is SUPER creamy. It’s made with pea protein, so it has 10 g of plant-based protein per 8 oz serving (plus, 50% more calcium than a serving of dairy milk)! This is definitely becoming a new staple in my kitchen. Check out their store locator to find some near you.
How to Make Almond Butter Zucchini Bread
- Mix together dry ingredients – spelt flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and apple pie spice.
- Mix together wet ingredients – egg, applesauce, maple syrup, Plant Protein Milk, and vanilla.
- Grate zucchini and squeeze out excess water.
- Mix wet ingredients into dry. Fold in zucchini, then chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Bake for 45 minutes – 1 hour.
Main Ingredients + Some Nutrition Notes
- Zucchini: One of my favorite summertime veggies, zucchini is super versatile and full of nutrients. It is high in antioxidants, including vitamin C, plus vitamin A. It’s also a hydrating vegetable as it is high in water. Zucchini contains both soluble and insoluble fiber. Insoluble fiber helps bind cholesterol in our bodies, and it also feeds the good bacteria in our gut!
- Bolthouse Farms Plant Protein Milk: This plant-based milk alternative is one of my new favorites! It’s got 10 grams of pea protein per 8 oz serving. Pea protein is one of the most easily digestible plant based protein sources. It is high in Branched Chain Amino Acids, which may promote muscle growth. This milk alternative also contains 50% more calcium than a serving of dairy milk, which is wonderful for those who cannot or choose not to consume dairy.
- Walnuts: I recently wrote about walnuts in this post, but they are a wonderful nut to include in your diet. They are high in ALA omega-3 fatty acids – higher than any other nut. These anti-inflammatory healthy fats are essential in our diet, because we cannot make them ourselves.
- Spelt Flour
- Unsweetened Applesauce
- Almond Butter
- Maple Syrup
If you love this recipe, you may also like
- Chocolate Chip Almond Flour Blender Banana Bread
- Almond Butter Zucchini Brownies
- Almond Butter Sweet Potato Muffins
This zucchini bread is a more nutritious version of your favorite summertime baked treat. It’s filled with whole grain flour, almond butter, and one whole zucchini!
- 1 medium-large zucchini, finely grated
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp apple pie spice
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup Bolthouse Farms Plant Protein Milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup crushed walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Grate zucchini and use a clean tea towel to squeeze out excess moisture.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine spelt flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and apple pie spice.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together almond butter, plant protein milk, maple syrup, applesauce, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix until just combined.
- Fold in zucchini, then chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Pour batter into loaf pan. Top with additional chocolate chips and nuts if desired.
- Bake for 45 minutes – 1 hour, until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool before slicing and serving.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Almond butter can be replaced with other types of nut butter, but the flavor may be slightly altered.
Keywords: zucchini bread, healthy zucchini bread, whole grain
Save this recipe for later to one of your Pinterest boards
Thank you Bolthouse Farms for sponsoring this blog post! I’m grateful to partner with brands I love to cook with, and all opinions are my own.