These bars are a no-bake, vegan version of one of my favorite summertime desserts – key lime pie! They’re full of healthy fats and pastel green color thanks to avocado (nope, you can’t taste it)
- 2 cups walnuts
- 9 large medjool dates, pitted
- 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tsp blackstrap molasses
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 can coconut cream (or full fat coconut milk, refrigerated for 24 hours)
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 2 limes (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Coconut Whipped Cream
- 1 can full fat coconut milk, refrigerated for 24 hours
- 2 tsp powdered sugar
- Combine all crust ingredients in a food processor. Blend until ingredients are crumbly and stick together easily, about 3-4 minutes.
- Line a 9″x9″ baking pan with parchment paper, and pour crust “batter” into pan. Use your hands to press crust firmly into the pan, forming an even layer. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Rinse out the food processor (or use a high speed blender), and combine all filling ingredients. Blend until very smooth and creamy, until avocado is fully pureed.
- Remove crust from freezer, and pour filling on top. Smooth into an even layer.
- Place pan in freezer, and freeze for at least 1 hour, until filling is hardened enough for slicing.
- Remove from freezer when ready to serve. You may need to let it sit for 10-15 minutes before slicing to soften a bit, depending on how long it was in the freezer.
- If using, make coconut whipped cream right before serving bars.
- Place metal mixing bowl in the freezer to chill.
- Scoop the thick layer of coconut cream from your refrigerated can of coconut milk into the chilled bowl. Beat on low for 30 seconds, then increase speed and beat for 1-3 minutes, until stiff peaks form. Add powdered sugar in the final 30 seconds or so of beating.
- Keeps well covered in the freezer for up to 1 month
Keywords: vegan, gluten free, key lime pie, raw key lime pie, vegan key lime pie, healthy desserts, , key lime bars