Jackfruit is the perfect plant-based substitute for animal protein in these barbecue jackfruit sliders! Easy homemade barbecue sauce and fresh pineapple salsa give these sliders the best sweet and spicy flavor.
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup Hellmann’s® Real Ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp honey mustard
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups pineapple, diced small
- 1 bell pepper, diced small
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 of a red onion, peeled and diced
- 1/2 of a jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 10 oz package pulled jackfruit (find it in the refrigerated section at the grocery store or canned jackfruit is available online)
- Whole wheat slider buns
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 6 small lettuce leaves
- Combine all barbecue sauce ingredients in a saucepan and stir to combine. Heat over medium heat for 5 minutes until smooth. Remove from heat.
- While the sauce heats, combine all pineapple salsa ingredients in a mixing bowl and toss to combine.
- Heat the pulled jackfruit in a frying pan, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Add about 1/2 cup of barbecue sauce and stir to coat the jackfruit.
- Toast the slider buns (optional), then top each bun with about 1/3 cup jackfruit, a few slices of avocado, lettuce, and a scoop of pineapple salsa.
- These sliders would also make delicious tacos!
Keywords: jackfruit, jackfruit sliders, vegan, plant-based, homemade barbecue sauce