This butternut squash and kale pasta is the coziest fall meal ever! It’s made with chickpea pasta, so it’s gluten free and has an extra protein boost, too.
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and diced into 1 inch dice
- 1/2 cup sage, chopped and divided
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup white wine
- 6 cups kale
- 8 oz box chickpea pasta
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (I used a microplane)
- 1/4 cup reserved pasta water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss butternut squash in 1 tbsp olive oil and half the chopped sage, and spread out on baking sheet.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes, until fork tender.
- While butternut squash roasts, braise the kale.
- In a large frying pan with a lid, heat remaining olive oil over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic, and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, white wine, and kale. Stir and cover, and cook for 5-10 minutes, until kale is soft, tender, and cooked down.
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions.
- Mix parmesan cheese with reserved pasta water. Pour over the kale and stir.
- Add cooked pasta and butternut squash to the pan with kale. Toss until well combined. Sprinkle with remaining sage.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with crushed red pepper and additional parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Best served immediately, but can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days and reheated.
Keywords: butternut squash and kale pasta, chickpea pasta, gluten free pasta, gluten free, butternut squash, kale