This vegan butternut squash chili is an easy one pot meal to make for a week of healthy eats. It’s a comforting dish that everyone will love!
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 box white mushrooms, chopped
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 can low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can low sodium kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado, diced, for serving
- Handful of fresh cilantro, chopped, for serving
- Heat avocado oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Add garlic plus a generous shake of salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add all spices, cocoa powder, and an additional shake of salt and pepper. Stir so garlic and onion are well coated with spices. Cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add bell pepper, mushrooms, zucchini, butternut squash, and the can of diced tomatoes to the pot. Stir so everything is well combined. If mixture is very thick, add up to 1 cup of water to thin it out a bit.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes, until butternut squash is fork tender.
- Add black and kidney beans, stir to mix, and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Use a ladel to spoon portions into bowls, and top with diced avocado and cilantro.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Keywords: vegan chili, butternut squash chili, vegan, gluten free, healthy chili