Curry Coconut Red Lentil Soup
Daylight savings time is when the changing seasons really hits me. The days are getting shorter as the temperature drops. I actually like the first few weeks after we change the clocks, because I enjoy waking up when the sun is rising. But I know in about a month, I’ll be wondering daily why I live on the East Coast (anyone in California looking for a winter roommate)?
My body starts craving warming flavors and hot foods around this time, too. Some of my favorite spices to cook with in the fall and winter are ginger, curry, and cinnamon (and this soup uses all of these)! This recipe is super simple but filling, thanks to the addition of lentils. Lentils are a legume, and come in many different varieties. They are such a wonderful ingredient, and I find they don’t always get the attention they deserve! They are a great source of plant based protein, and are rich in nutrients like folate and manganese. Plus, they are extremely inexpensive. I’m often asked how I can spend so little on groceries each week and still eat well. A plant based diet actually lends itself perfectly to eating on a budget, because vegetarian protein sources are generally less expensive than animal proteins. Some of my other favorite affordable vegetarian proteins are chickpeas, black beans, tofu and eggs.
I used red lentils in this recipe because the cook quickly. They also soften quite a bit when cooked, which helps to thicken the soup’s consistency. If you’d like to keep a thicker broth, I’d recommend not substituting another lentil variety in this recipe. From start to finish, this soup only took about 30 minutes to make! If you’re looking for the coziest soup to warm up to after work, this recipe also is excellent to meal prep!
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 can no salt added diced tomatoes (15 oz)
- 3 cups vegetable broth (I used Pacific Foods Mushroom Broth)
- ¾ cup red lentils
- 8 oz baby spinach or chopped kale
- Juice of ½ lime
- Salt to taste
- In a large pot, heat avocado oil on medium heat. Add onions, cook for 2 minutes until translucent.
- Add garlic and ginger, and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add spices and salt, stir and let cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add coconut milk, diced tomatoes, veggie broth and lentils. Stir to mix everything and bring to a boil, then simmer for 15-20 minutes until lentils are tender.
- Stir in greens until wilted.
- Add lime juice and salt to taste.
This recipe makes about 5-6 servings, and keeps well in the fridge for 4-5 days.
I hope you guys try this warming soup recipe! Tag @daisybeet on Instagram so I can see your creations 🙂