Healthy Puppy Chow
Lately, I’ve been feeling nostalgic for the most random things. Maybe it’s because I’m officially an “adult” now being completely done with school and working a full-time job, or realizing I’m only 2 years away from being 30 years old, but time seems to be flying by too quickly!
Last night, my roommate was showing me home video clips she watched after going to her parent’s house for the weekend, and we chatted about all the Disney VHS movies we both owned. Who else was a diehard Little Mermaid fan?
In addition to nostalgia for things like movies, I’ve also been thinking about foods I haven’t eaten in years. I bought a box of shredded wheat cereal to add to yogurt bowls for quick breakfasts last week, and that brought me down memory lane! I used to LOVE frosted mini wheat cereal for breakfast – there was something so satisfying about that sugary flavor and that delicate ratio of milk to cereal that created the perfect texture piece of cereal.
Munching on shredded wheat all week reminded me about a popular snack we had growing up: puppy chow! My own mom actually never made this for us, and I don’t think I was introduced to this treat until middle school at a friend’s house. This crunchy, peanut buttery, chocolately, sugary snack was so addicting.
Puppy chow is traditionally made with peanut butter, chocolate chips, rice chex cereal, sometimes butter and coated in heaps of powdered sugar. I decided I wanted to make a more nutritious version, without compromising on flavor!
My version maintains the same texture and rich peanut butter chocolate goodness, however I swapped the powdered sugar for a blend of powdered peanut butter, cacao powder and cinnamon. Here are some of the benefits of my puppy chow:
- Whole grain fiber, thanks to unsweetened shredded wheat cereal
- A boost of antioxidants by using dark chocolate
- Zero added sugars or preservatives by using natural peanut butter and no powdered sugar
If you guys had puppy chow growing up, I encourage you to try this recipe for a more nutritious trip down memory lane. I plan on making another batch for a Super Bowl snack to munch on!
- One 3.5 oz bar of dark chocolate, roughly chopped (or ½ cup dark chocolate chips)
- 1/3 cup creamy natural peanut butter
- 4 cups shredded wheat cereal
- ¼ cup powdered peanut butter
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler on the stovetop. Stir in peanut butter once melted.
- Add 1 cup shredded wheat cereal to a large mixing bowl. Add a few big spoonfuls of melted chocolate and mix.
- Alternate about 1 cup shredded wheat cereal and melted chocolate, and mix gently until everything is combined. (I suggest using a rubber spatula to scrape out as much chocolate as you can).
- In a large ziplock bag, combine powdered peanut butter, cacao powder and cinnamon.
- Pour chocolate coated cereal into the bag, close and shake until pieces are well coated.
- Pour into a bowl or enjoy! This snack will keep well in the fridge.
If you try this recipe, tag @daisybeet so I can see your creations! I hope you enjoy 🙂