When your boyfriend willingly chooses to snack on carrots straight out the fridge, you know you’ve made a winning recipe. As a dietitian, few things give me more satisfaction than seeing people genuinely enjoy eating vegetables. When prepared thoughtfully, vegetables can easily be the most delicious part of your meal!
Many people I’ve talked to grew up having pretty boring vegetables! If I were served a plate of plain steamed or boiled broccoli, I wouldn’t be too excited about things either. When teaching people how to prepare vegetables they enjoy, I have two big tips. The first is to change the way you are preparing your veggies. My favorite way to cook veggies is roasting them in the oven! The high dry heat coaxes out the flavor, caramelizes them, and adds an irresistible crispy texture. Also, try roasting veggies at a higher temperature than you are used to doing. Instead of 350 degrees, try 400! I generally roast in the 400-425 degree range to really maximize flavor. My second tip is to master a few sauces to drizzle over cooked veggies. A good sauce transforms even steamed veggies into something really delicious. Some of my favorites I have in my back pocket are peanut sauce, sesame ginger sauce and pesto! Sauces may seem intimidating, but they are actually quite simple and come together quickly.
These carrots are both roasted and topped with a new favorite sauce recipe – packing DOUBLE the flavor punch! I added some maple syrup to the carrots before roasting, which really elevates their flavor and brings out their natural sweetness. This ginger beet tahini sauce is super creamy, zingy and versatile. It would be great served with other vegetables, drizzled on a grain bowl, or as a creamy salad dressing!
- 2 small bunches of carrots, tops removed and scrubbed
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 ½ tbsp pure maple syrup
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley and ¼ cup crushed pistachios for garnishing
Ginger Beet Tahini Sauce
- ½ cup tahini
- 2 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tbsp pure maple syrup
- 3 small Love Beets organic cooked beets + juice from package
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ½ inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 415 degrees F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Add carrots to baking sheet and drizzle with avocado oil and maple syrup. Add salt and pepper and toss to coat carrots evenly.
- Roast for 40-45 minutes until carrots are fork tender and beginning to caramelize, turning carrots halfway through.
- While carrots cook, prepare the sauce. Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add water, 1 tbsp at a time as necessary to aid blending.
- Arrange carrots on a serving platter. Drizzle with beet tahini sauce and sprinkle with fresh parsley and crushed pistachios. Serve warm. These carrots are also delicious cold, so if you have leftovers, save them to munch on or throw into salads!
If you guys try this recipe, tag @daisybeet on Instagram so I can see your creations! 🙂