This beet and goat cheese salad is a delicious side dish any beet lover will enjoy! The beets are tossed with goat cheese, U.S.-grown wild rice, chickpeas, and a zippy lemon vinaigrette.
- 2.5 lb red and golden beets
- 1 cup U.S.-grown wild rice
- 1 can low sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup goat cheese crumbles
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Spray a covered baking dish with olive oil cooking spray.
- Wash and scrub beets and add them to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with a little salt and cover. *Alternatively, you can wrap each beet in tin foil and place on a baking sheet, if you don’t have a covered baking dish.
- Roast beets for 45 minutes – 1.5 hours, rotating them every 20 minutes so they cook evenly. Beets will be done cooking when fork tender.
- Once beets are cool enough to handle, use your hands to squeeze off the skin under cool running water. Chop into 1 inch cubes.
- While the beets roast, cook the wild rice according to package instructions. I used a rice cooker on the brown rice setting, and it took about an hour.
- Prepare the dressing. Whisk together lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, honey, mustard, parsley, and garlic. Slowly drizzle in olive oil while continuing to whisk until well combined.
- Combine roasted beets, wild rice, chickpeas, parsley, and goat cheese in a large mixing bowl. Pour in dressing and toss until everything is well coated. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Try to choose similar sized beets for even cooking. The smaller they are, the faster they will cook.
- This salad tastes good cold and holds up well as leftovers.
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
Keywords: beet and goat cheese salad, beets, wild rice, gluten free, U.S.-grown rice, goat cheese, chickpeas