This stuffed eggplant recipe is filled with bulgur, tomato, chickpeas, dried figs, basil, and spices for a delicious vegan meal everyone will enjoy!
- 2 medium to large eggplants
- 1 cup Turkish bulgur
- 1/2 of a white onion, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup basil, chopped
- 1 cup low sodium chickpeas (from a drained and rinsed can)
- 5 dried Turkish figs, chopped
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tbsp Turkish olive oil
- 3/4 tsp ras-el-hanout
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup smooth tahini
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place eggplants on lined baking sheet whole, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Eggplants will be very soft and the skin wrinkly when done. Remove from oven and transfer to a cutting board to cool until you’re able to slice them.
- While the eggplants cook, make the bulgur filling.
- Cook bulgur on the stovetop by combining 1 cup of bulgur with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes until water is gone and bulgur is light and fluffy.
- In a mixing bowl, combine bulgur with onion, tomato, basil, chickpeas, figs, lemon juice, olive oil, ras-el-hanout, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Make tahini sauce by whisking together tahini, lemon juice, garlic powder, and salt with a fork. Add cold water, 1 tbsp at a time, until the sauce becomes creamy and runny. I added about half a cup of cold water total before the sauce reached this creamy consistency.
- Once eggplants are cool enough to handle, slice them in half lengthwise. Scoop out the flesh, leaving a 1/4 inch border, and add the flesh to the bulgur filling. Stir to combine.
- Scoop about 1 cup of filling into each eggplant half.
- Serve, drizzled with tahini sauce and sprinkled with sesame seeds.
- You may have some leftover filling, depending on the size of your eggplants. Add it to a salad for lunch the next day!
- If you can’t find ras-el-hanout, you can add 1/4 tsp each ginger, corriander, and paprika. It would also be delicious with curry powder instead.
Keywords: stuffed eggplant, vegetarian, vegan, bulgur