This banana baked oatmeal is an easy yet decadent breakfast or brunch recipe. Prepare it on a Sunday to have for breakfast throughout the week, or serve it warm from the oven for Mother’s Day brunch this weekend! This recipe is vegan, gluten free, and naturally sweetened with banana and applesauce, so it’s perfect for a crowd that has dietary restrictions.
Oatmeal is my all-time favorite breakfast. I love it because it’s very inexpensive, easy to prepare, and there are endless flavor combinations, so it never gets boring. Oatmeal has plenty of fiber to keep us full, and is a good source of soluble fiber in the form of beta-glucan. Soluble fiber is especially important to have in our diets because it may help lower “bad” LDL cholesterol, therefore reducing the risk of heart disease.
I eat oatmeal for breakfast several times per week, but can you believe this is my first time making a baked oatmeal recipe? Now that I’ve done it, I don’t know what I was waiting for. This recipe is incredibly simple, uses common ingredients you probably have in your pantry, and tastes amazing. The flavor reminds me of banana bread, but has a heartier texture thanks to the old fashioned oats.
This banana baked oatmeal recipe is great because all you need is one bowl to make it happen. After creating a flax egg in a mixing bowl, just add the other ingredients in the order listed. Stir together, pour into your baking dish, and into the oven it goes! It will definitely be added to my regular meal prep rotation, especially for busy weeks when we need breakfast on the go.
A Few Recipe Notes
- While I haven’t tested other types of oats with this recipe, I definitely suggest using old fashioned rolled oats. Their chewy texture holds up well when baked.
- I used a flax egg to keep this recipe vegan. You can substitute ground chia for ground flax, or one whole egg if you are not vegan!
- For the bananas, the riper, the better! Ripe bananas are much sweeter, and this eliminates the need for added sugar in this recipe.
This vegan and gluten free baked oatmeal is delicious and perfect for meal prep.
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 3 tbsp warm water
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup creamy natural peanut butter (I used this brand)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup unsweetened oat milk or almond milk
- 3 cups gluten free old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Whisk together ground flax and water in a mixing bowl until thickened.
- Add mashed banana, applesauce, peanut butter, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla extract to bowl and mix until well combined.
- Add milk and mix again until well combined.
- Stir in oats and chocolate chips.
- Pour into 9×9 baking dish. Top with more chocolate chips and banana slices (optional).
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until edges begin to brown.
- Drizzle with more peanut butter if desired.
- Serve warm or store in the fridge for up to one week. This recipe is good right out of the fridge and warms up easily!
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
Keywords: baked oatmeal, banana baked oatmeal, peanut butter, vegan baked oatmeal
If you love this recipe, you may also like
- My Go-To Breakfast: Cacao Banana Oatmeal
- Hasselback Baked Pears
- Chocolate Chip Almond Flour Blender Banana Bread
Save this recipe for later on one of your Pinterest boards
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, which help keep Daisybeet running. I truly love all the brands I link to, and use them frequently in my daily life!