These easy tacos are filled with vegetables and packed with flavor. The smokiness of the mushrooms contrasts so nicely with the sweet and spicy mango avocado salsa and creamy tahini lime dressing! Put these on the menu for your next Taco Tuesday.
Tacos are one of our favorite easy meals. We make them a few times every month, each time switching up the ingredients and toppings. Tacos are also an ideal meal to serve to a big group. You can include so many different easy sides and toppings, so each person is able to customize their meal based on taste and dietary restrictions.
I usually make tacos with fish or shrimp, but I wanted to experiment with a vegan version! Choosing Portobello mushrooms as the base was a great move, because they have a meaty texture that contrasts well with other toppings. Seasoned with garlic, spices and chipotle in adobo sauce, these mushrooms have a smoky and slightly spicy flavor you will want in all your tacos going forward.
The mango avocado salsa is the perfect juxtaposition to the mushrooms. Just combine super sweet mango, creamy avocado, tomatoes, black beans, cilantro, salt, lime juice and jalapeno in a bowl! This salsa is delicious on its own and would also be amazing served with fish.
To round everything out, I made a super simple tahini lime sauce. Drizzle this on for a creamy and zesty addition to your tacos. It cuts some of the heat and is a wonderful alternative to sour cream.
A Few Recipe Notes
- Adjust the amount of chipotle pepper based on your tolerance for spicy foods. I prefer less spicy foods, so I used one seeded small pepper. Keep the seeds in and add more peppers for extra spice.
- Heating the corn tortillas directly on the flame of your gas stove gives them a smoky flavor and a nice char. If you do not have a gas stove, heat them using dry heat in a skillet without oil rather than in the microwave to preserve their flavor and texture.
- Mango could easily be swapped for pineapple or papaya in the mango avocado salsa.
Vegan tacos with smoky portobello mushrooms and a freshly made mango avocado salsa.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 3 Portobello mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, seeded and chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp adobo sauce from chipotle in adobo can
- 1 ripe mango, cut into ½ inch dice
- 1 ripe avocado, cut into ½ inch dice
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup black beans
- ½ jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped finely
- 2 tbsp tahini
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp cold water
- 8 corn tortillas
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet on medium heat.
- Add half the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring to avoid burning. Add cumin and chili powder and stir.
- Add sliced mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Cook for 5-10 minutes , stirring occasionally until mushrooms are fork tender. Add chipotle and adobo sauce and cook an additional 1 minute, stirring to coat.
- Combine remaining garlic, mango, avocado, tomato, black beans, jalapeno, 2 tbsp lime juice and cilantro in a mixing bowl. Stir to combine and add salt to taste.
- Whisk together remaining lime juice, tahini, garlic powder, water and salt to taste in a separate bowl. Add more water as needed, 1 tbsp at a time, to thin out sauce.
- Heat tortillas over low heat directly on the flame of a gas burner. Use tongs to flip once tortilla starts to bubble.
- Top heated tortillas with mushrooms, salsa and tahini lime sauce.
If you love this recipe, you may also like
- Shrimp Tacos with Spicy No-Mayo Slaw and Guacamole
- Zucchini Enchiladas with Avocado Cilantro Cream Sauce
- Quinoa Enchilada Stuffed Peppers