This spring soup is light, full of in-season produce, and incredibly smooth and creamy. There is an unexpected, healthy ingredient that gives this soup its silky texture, making it completely dairy free.
Soup is not just for wintertime! It’s one of my favorite one pot meals to prepare at the beginning of the week for lunch or dinner. This creamy asparagus soup is light, nutritious and full of fresh spring flavor. I’m more than happy to extend soup season for this vibrant bowl!
There are no fancy ingredients in this soup, and you might already have some in your pantry! An unexpected ingredient makes this soup unique and incredibly creamy, without adding any cream…avocado!
I’ve added avocado to smoothies before, and love the silky texture it adds. Adding it to a pureed soup has a similar effect. It’s a neutral flavored ingredient that makes the soup incredibly smooth and creamy. Avocado also adds plenty of healthy monounsaturated fats and potassium to this soup!
Main Ingredients + Some Nutrition Notes
You need just one pot and a blender to make this delicious creamy asparagus soup. It will take you less than half an hour from start to finish! Put these ingredients on your next shopping list:
- Asparagus: Asparagus is high in folate, which is important for healthy pregnancies and cell growth. It’s also a good source of vitamin K, which we need for blood clotting, and antioxidants.
- Garlic: Garlic contains sulfur compounds, which may have cancer preventative effects when ingested. It also may help boost our immune response when we are sick.
- Avocado: Our generation’s favorite healthy fat! Avocado is rich in healthy monounstaturated fats, which help lower “bad” LDL cholesterol when they replace saturated fats in the diet. They also contain more potassium than a banana!
- White onion
- White beans
- Vegetable broth
A Few Recipe Notes
- Fresh or frozen asparagus both work wonderfully in this recipe. I actually used frozen for this batch, because the store was out of fresh!
- If you use low sodium vegetable broth, you may need to adjust the amount of salt added to the soup.
- This recipe will keep in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to 5 days.
If you love this recipe, you may also like
- Creamy Curry Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut Milk
- Curry Coconut Red Lentil Soup (Vegan, Gluten Free)
- Spring Pasta with Lemon, Asparagus, Mushrooms and Peas
This creamy asparagus soup is made super silky without any cream or dairy, thanks to avocado! All you need is one pot, a blender, and 30 minutes to whip up a batch.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 leeks, white parts only, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 large bunch asparagus, cut in half
- 1 carton vegetable broth
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup white beans
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Fresh parsley for garnishing
- Heat olive oil on medium heat in a large pot.
- Add onion, leeks, salt, and pepper and cook until onion is translucent, about 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and cayenne, and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Add asparagus and vegetable broth, cover, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cooking until asparagus is fork tender.
- Add avocado, white beans, and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
- Remove from heat, and ladle soup into blender. You may need to do this in batches, depending on the size of your blender container.
- Blend on high speed for 30-45 seconds, until smooth and creamy.
- Pour soup directly into bowls and serve hot. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley, other fresh herbs, or extra fresh lemon if desired.
Keywords: creamy asparagus soup, dairy free, vegan, gluten free, healthy soup