Who else is ready for spring? Every year, when March rolls around, I always expect the warm weather to kick in. But in reality, it’s just another month of chilly temps and snowy weather. My first winter in Boston was pretty mild, but I can’t wait to pack up my puffy coats for the season! I notice my energy levels vary significantly based on the season. I have more energy and need a little less sleep during the warmer months, so I am ready to get out of this winter hibernation.
I tried to channel spring to come sooner by making the most colorful and vibrant meal I could imagine. I hadn’t made collard green wraps in FOREVER, so I decided to make some filled with lots of colorful ingredients, like roasted veggies and avocado. If you’ve never tried making collard wraps, don’t be intimidated! They are actually quite simple. Once my veggies were done roasting, I put these wraps together in 10 minutes!
The only issue I find with meals like collard wraps is they lack a substantial amount of protein. While I love including as many veggies as possible (hello, fiber!), it’s important that our meals also have adequate protein to keep us full and satiated. To up the protein content of these wraps, I used in this recipe, and they were the perfect addition. The Sweet Heat Beet Veggie Burger is part of Dr. Praeger’s Pure Plant Protein line and has 19 grams of plant-based protein per serving, adding them made this recipe into a filling meal, rather than a light appetizer. In addition to the generous amount of protein, these burgers contain real, whole food ingredients you recognize and can pronounce, just like all of Dr. Praeger’s products.
If you guys are looking for an easy, nutritious and protein packed lunch, give these a try! This recipe makes 2 collard green wraps.
- 1 zucchini, sliced in half crosswise, then lengthwise into ¼ inch thick slices
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- ½ tbsp avocado oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large collard green leaves
- 3 tbsp hummus
- ½ avocado, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 Dr. Praeger’s Pure Plant Protein Sweet Heat Beet Veggie Burger
- Handful of sprouts
- 1 tbsp mustard
- Preheat oven to 415 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the zucchini and bell pepper to baking sheet and drizzle with avocado oil plus salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast for 20-30 minutes until fork tender, flipping halfway through.
- Meanwhile, prepare the collard greens by washing them and using a paring knife to shave off as much of the stem as possible. This will make it easier to fold.
- Prepare veggie burger according to package instructions. Slice in half when done cooking.
- Once veggies are done roasting, let cool enough for handling.
- To prepare the wraps: spread 1 ½ tbsp hummus in the center of each collard leaf. Layer sliced avocado, zucchini, bell pepper, half of the veggie burger, sprouts and mustard evenly on each wrap. Tuck in the sides and roll.
- Use a sharp knife to slice wraps in half. Enjoy immediately, or refrigerate and enjoy tomorrow.
If you try this recipe, tag @daisybeet on Instagram so I can see your creations!
Thank you Dr. Praeger’s for sponsoring this blog post! I’m grateful to partner with brands I love to cook with, and all opinions are my own.